| 0 comments ]



OMG, I am so excited! I received my instructions for setting up my Crohn’s Disease and Colitis Team Challenge page to set up donations. I know my sponsor was tired of me bugging her, but I couldn’t contain my enthusiasm. The preparation for this 13 mile half marathon is as much fun as I hope the walk will be.

Let me give you some background on Crohn’s Disease and Colitis.


What is Crohn’s & Colitis Team Challenge?

Team Challenge is the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation’s half marathon training program that raises critical dollars for Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis research, while it trains you to cross the finish line at a half marathon. You’ll train over approximately 16 weeks for a specific half marathon, will be given fundraising advice and assistance, and then travel as a team to an exciting location for race weekend.

What are Crohn’s and colitis?

Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis are painful, unpredictable diseases that attack the digestive system. Crohn's disease may attack anywhere from the mouth to the anus, while ulcerative colitis inflames only the large intestine (colon). Symptoms may include abdominal pain, persistent diarrhea, rectal bleeding, fever and weight loss. Many patients require hospitalization and surgery. These illnesses can cause severe complications, including colon cancer in patients with long-term disease. Some 1.4 million American adults and children suffer from Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis, with as many as 150,000 under the age of 18. Most people develop the diseases between the ages of 15 and 35.

I’ve been informed that some of our athletes have Crohn’s & Colitis. What a strong willed person you must be in order to train for this walk and complete it. Can you imagine living with frequent pain yet still participating in this challenge? I can’t. I remember thinking how brave my son was with his disease (he had Juvenile Diabetes and died April 28, 2005 from it). These people are truly touched by God.

Anyway, this is a short post, I just wanted to share. I’m on my way to Belle Isle Park to walk around there. I’ve been told it’s anywhere from 3-5 miles in circumference (diameter?). That should be a challenge. I'll let you know tomorrow how much of it I completed!

Click Here to make a donation to Team Challenge


0 comments

Post a Comment