| 0 comments ]







Digg!

On the road....

In my attempt to surprise my mom on Easter (it worked), I of course, have my trusty camera recording places, sites I may have or have not seen.

For example, while in Chicago, I snapped a shot of a man carrying a cross on his back while walking across the Canal Street bridge. I thought it was very appropriate, as it was Good Friday.

Then once in Detroit, I took the opportunity to photograph the Heidelberg Project. Created by Detroit urban artist Tyree Guyton, some feel Guyton is a true urban artist icon, while others believe he is crazy as a loon. But then, art is like beauty, its in the eye of the beholder.

Here is a short history of the Heidelberg Project taken from the history of:

"The Heidelberg Project, bearing the name of the street on which it exists, was started in 1986 by Tyree Guyton. He was assisted by his grandfather, Sam (Grandpa) Mackey (deceased), and his former wife, Karen Guyton. Tyree was raised on Heidelberg Street and, at the age of 12, witnessed the tragic effect of the Detroit riots - from which he claims the City of Detroit never recovered. Though once racially integrated, many neighborhoods have become segregated urban ghettos characterized by poverty, abandonment, and despair."

Photos really don't do the Heidelberg Project any justice. You really need to see it in person to experience the feeling of despair and hopelessness that one feels when walking the block. Its an aging Detroit neighborhood that has been left behind.

There are those that believe the Heidelberg Project is an eyesore and should be demolished. Efforts were made in 1991 and 1999 to do just that, and parts of the Heidelberg Project were destroyed at that time.

However, despite efforts to get rid of the Heidelberg Project, it remains to chagrin or contribution to street art--depends on how you look at it.

While there the other evening, I took over 50 photos--too numerous to post here...I'm creating a video of them, and will have them up on YouTube.

If you haven't subscribed to my channel on YouTube, here's your chance, you'll see exclusive photos not seen anywhere else shot by me!







TweetIt from HubSpot

0 comments

Post a Comment